a photo journal of recent travels and everyday happenings.


Wednesday, October 27, 2010

October 26th, 2010
















Courtney set up yet another observation for us today. This time the assignment was to spend 10 hours in one classroom and observe two students: one that excels and one that struggles. Courtney's friend Danni (woman in the blue sweater) teaches kindergarten at a charter school that just opened this year. Right now it is only kindergarten, 4 classes totaling 100 students. Next year they are expanding to 1st grade. Danni is such a great teacher! She has amazing control over her classroom. She created little ditty's to go along with everything they learned. The kids went through the alphabet and all of the sounds each letter makes, the days of the week, months of the year, how many days they had been in school , story time, there was even an addition lesson. We were there for 9 hours, so I could go on and on, but it was a great experience. I learn a little bit more every day about the economic and social issues that teachers in Chicago face. These are some brave and dedicated people! Courtney took all of the photos except for the first three. I was a little too shy to walk around and photograph the youngsters, but I'm glad Courtney did!

1 comment:

  1. Have you read the book Meaningful Differences? If not, you should. You'd enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete